Location: Chicago, Illinois
Internal Number: R2300031
Join the FHLBC team!
At the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago, employees come first - that's why we offer a highly competitive compensation and bonus package, and access to a comprehensive benefits program designed to meet the needs of our employees.
* Medical, dental and vision insurance
* Retirement program (401k and Pension)
* Generous PTO plan
* 11 paid holidays per year
* Hybrid working model (effective February 22, 2022)
* Casual dress code
Who we are
FHLBank Chicago partners with our members in Illinois and Wisconsin to provide them competitively priced funding, a reasonable return on their investment in the Bank, and support for their community investment activities. We are one of 11 Federal Home Loan Banks created by Congress in 1932 as a government sponsored enterprise to support mortgage lending and community investment. We are member owned and member focused. Our members include banks, credit unions, insurance companies and CDFIs (Community Development Financial Institution).
What it's like to work here
At FHLBank Chicago, we bring people together. Our regular All-Staff meetings keep employees informed and our values drive the work that we do. Our Buddy Program pairs new hires with tenured employees to guide their onboarding. Our Employee Value Proposition is honed by listening and identifying the needs and priorities of our valued employees. Through CommuniTeam, we volunteer and identify ways to strengthen our communities. Our Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) hosts signature and employee-led events for continued learning; and Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and culture clubs create connections around shared interests and experiences. We offer live and on-demand professional development opportunities to grow your skillset and your career.
What You'll do
In this role you'll work as part of a team and in a cross-functional capacity in support of our member institutions, researching current economic trends and reports, analyzing financial statements, and making recommendations for strategies and solutions tailored to the unique situations and objectives of each institution. You will learn a deep understanding of the Bank's products and benefits of membership, how to create effective presentation, and will assist in creating pitch books for current and prospective clients. You will develop a broad knowledge of financial institution business models, wholesale funding, residential mortgage and fixed income markets to support your analysis, and will leverage analytical and fixed income modeling tools to find insights in large data sets and to create reports for the broader group.
How you'll make an impact:
- Use data and analytical tools to identify solutions to unique member and Bank challenges, and then present your findings to applicable stakeholders.
- Bring your unique perspective to the team, challenging assumptions and thinking outside of the box to creatively solve problems.
- Have a direct impact on accomplishing the Bank's strategic objectives and business results by acting as a trusted advisor to our member institutions.
What you can expect:
- Review and analyze financial statements and financial market trends and report on findings to internal and external stakeholders. Design, maintain, and improve a variety of financial models and reports.
- Leverage analytical tools to find insights in large data sets to create reports for sales, strategy, and operations of the Bank, making improvements and changes, as needed.
- Research and write economic commentary for both internal and external use.
- Research industry trends around housing, banking, economics, and financial markets to consolidate and prepare into presentations and external-facing educational materials.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment with opportunities to network with other departments and work on various projects.
- Analyze and help interpret mortgage market, fixed income market, and other financial market data, modeling and analyzing balance sheets of financial institutions including banks, credit unions, and insurance companies.
- Support sales through strategic targeting based on historical usage and balance sheet trends. Prepare sales materials and pitch-books, as needed.
- Develop models to improve and better identify prospective users of Bank products.
- Systematic gathering and recording of data to assign meaning, and suggest conclusions from quantitative, qualitative, risk, and return perspectives to support decision making, enhance products, product design, metric reporting, and training.
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Math, Accounting, or related field.
- 0-3 years of experience in the Financial Services industry preferred. Title will be based on applicable experience.
- Fluency in Microsoft Suite products, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with VBA, SQL, Python, C#, and Tableau is a plus.
- A high degree of professionalism with outstanding communication (written, verbal, and listening) skills.
- Ability to self-start and self-motivate, a willingness to take an active role to drive results by collaborating with peers, leaders, customers and teams.
- Desire for continuous learning and inclination to understand big picture elements potentially outside of current role requirements
- Motivated by a curiosity to find new questions or answers by looking at data and problems in novel or unique ways
- Strive to bring new thoughts and ideas to the team in order to drive innovation and unique solutions
- Proven ability to develop, analyze, and effectively interpret data
- Curiosity to learn fixed income capital markets, mortgage markets, financial institution funding dynamics, and wholesale funding markets
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and concentrate on details in a fast-paced work environment
- Critical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and present results/recommendations to audiences
At FHLBank Chicago, employees come first. We offer a highly competitive compensation and bonus package, and access to a comprehensive benefits program designed to meet the needs of our employees. Our retirement program includes a 401K and Pension. Our generous PTO plan provides five weeks of vacation for new employees and 11 paid holidays per year. We offer work from home options and a casual dress code at our beautiful new space in the Old Post Office. Step into your future with us.